Tuesday, December 1, 2009

November 2009

Mama Louise's
In order to celebrate the triumphant return of our from Julie from the distant and dangerous shores of Kuwait (does it even have any shores? I don't know), I mustered up my gumption and got us to Mama Louises. OK, all I really did was send out a text message and then a FB event, Megan did the actual picking of a place, and calling for a reservation, ie. all the hard work.
It was far afeild from my own house, in a strip mall of all places, but the restaurant was warm and inviting once inside.
Julie was excited to get her first taste of non-Middle-Eastern pizza, so she went with a white pizza with olives and other veggies. I had a hard time deciding between the pastas, so went with the Half-n-Half of home-made spaghetti and ravioli.
(Holy Crap, I almost broke the library's computer. Everything is fine now. Pheww!)
The Half-n-Half came with a choice of "meatball or sausage?" I went for the sausage. I was too engrossed with Julie's stories of peril to ask if the sausage was made onsite as well as the pasta, so that I can't tell you. Or tell for that matter what anyone else ordered or if they liked it.
The spaghetti was pretty good, thick, but not gummy. The ravioli probably came from a supplier because it was fairly indistinct. The sausage was good, spicy. The whole affair was served up in the funny, homey fashion you'll get at these family owned restaurants. The soup that came with the meal was fine, the salad though was hilarious. They just ripped up a couple leaves of Romain lettuce and laid them on a plate, with a slice of cucumber and one of pepperoni sitting to the side. In fact, my sausage, which I had assumed (wrongly) would fill the ravioli was plopped atop the spaghetti, but covered by the sauce. Well, maybe more charming than funny, but I enjoyed it.
For dessert, we all partook of the seasonal Pumpkin cheesecake. I think cheesecake does make everything better, don't you?
If in the area, I'd go back. We never wanted for filled water glasses, and except for the illegibility of the waiter's handwriting, the service was pretty good. The prices were mainline and it is a family owned business, so... yeah.
(P.S. I'm not spell checking this, so any mistakes, blame my public education.)

1 comment:

. said...

Yeah for being home and 3rd Thursday! Love it!