Monday, June 29, 2009

Watercourse


We tried several times to get things back on track, but it seemed the weather was always against us. Here in Denver, we've had the second wettest spring in recorded history. But we finally got there for a Saturday brunch.
It was a tough choice as to when to go: on the one hand, several people would be tied up in wedding business, on the other, an old 3T friend was in town and available for just one day. Finally, we realized that marriage doesn't necessarily mean permanent separation, and accomadated our soon-to-be foreign friend after all.
I was freshly showered when two Megan and Julie came to pick me up. So freshly, in fact, my hair wasn't combed. much less dried. Sans makeup, I braved the restaurant. This is kind of a hippie, earthy, alternative kind of place, so I wasn't out of place. The servers were tattooed and the other patrons were pierced, so no eye liner wasn't a problem. We took the corner booth, with a fine view of sunny 17th street and ordered a sweet potato cinnamon roll to share as an appetizer.
It was Delicious, really light, not too sweet, and strangely tasted nothing like sweet potato.

I braved the Vegan possibilities and ordered The Conejos plate with scrambled tofu. It tasted nothing like eggs, of course, but more like the curry it was spiced with. It was served over home fries with a little cheese decorating the top. Not nearly as bad as a dedicated meat-eater might think. My favorite thing was the wheat bread, though. Thick cut and toasted under the broiler then slathered in butter and raspberry jam.

Julie got the Banana bread French toast. Not French bread sprinkled with bananas and nuts. No my friend, banana bread, heavy and homemade, dipped in egg and fried up with a side of fresh fruit. I managed to steal a bite from the ravenous, home sick Julie and have to say it might be worth breaking your diet.
Our friend Alena joined us for the first time. Hurray! She and Megan both got free-range egg scrambles that looked pretty enviable, as well.
A nice place; bright, clean, neighborly, despite the paintings on the wall depicting scenes from Watership Down. If I hadn't been the chubbiest girl in the room, I would have been tempted to move right into the corner booth permanently.

1 comment:

. said...

I have the best friends ever... thanks for accomodating me!