Thursday, October 2, 2008

September 2008



Beirut Grill
See, in my head, this place would require camo and helmuts. Instead, it's in a strip mall next to a Big Lots, a whole different type of battleground. We were in Englewood, the interesting bit, with it's Catholic bookstore and at least two Army Surplus stores.
I'd made a reservation for 6 people, and darnit if I wasn't dead on. When we walked in, there was one other party there, but the place filled in somewhat over the course of our hour.
Our waitress brought a complimentary relish plate. It was a nice jesture and so I ate a peice of pickled radish (I think) and an olive. Remind me that I hate olives. It was so pretty, with pink radish, slices of cucumber pickles and a rosebud tomato, but we forgot to take a picture.
We decided to share a few appitizers, since we all wanted a taste. We settled on the fallafels (so good)and one each of the cheese pie, the lamb pie and the spinach pie. I was expecting a cube of spinach and egg ala Sbarros, but instead got what looked like three little boats, made of dough and the filling nestled inside. The spinach was tangy with lemon, the cheese was a little bland and my favorite was the lamb. It was ground and spiced and looked more like a spread than anything else. It tasted smoky and rich.

As an entree, I ordered this sausage dish (I can't remember the name), Megan got the meat combo kabob, Julie got the chicken kabob and the other three all got the King combo, wich came with a lot. Each entree was preceeded with a plate of "homos" and fresh made pita. I would totally go back for that alone. After I downed mine, I unashamedly stole Julie's, since she wasn't finishing hers.
My sausage was spiced well, though pretty dry. They looked like three cigarellos laying on a bed of jasmine rice. And a small green salad.
Since I was having too much fun with my absconded pita and hummus, I didn't have time to ask how everyone else's was. But everyone either finished off their plate or asked for boxes to take home, so I'm going to guess they were satisfied.
Our waitress was fairly attentive, the only problem being that she was the only one on the floor that night, and it took a while to get her attention.
I was so enamored of the hummus, I've been craving it ever since. I even went to the grocery store and bought the kind that comes in a little tub. Not nearly as good, though Ritz crackers probably wasn't authentic.

No comments: